LinkedIn cuts dozens of Bay Area jobs in new round of tech layoffs
LinkedIn has revealed plans to eliminate dozens of Bay Area jobs in a fresh round of layoffs that intensify the current tough times for Silicon Valley tech and biotech companies.
The employment-focused social network has decided to cut 91 jobs in three Bay Area cities, according to an official filing that LinkedIn sent to California’s labor agency.
Starting in July 2022, tech and biotech companies have disclosed plans to eliminate at least 20,100 jobs in the Bay Area, according to this news organization’s review of WARN notices sent to the state Employment Development Department (EDD). Some of the cutbacks have occurred, and some are scheduled to take place.
LinkedIn is cutting staffing levels in Mountain View, Sunnyvale and San Francisco, the company told the state EDD in a new WARN notice dated Feb. 14.
The cutbacks are occurring at 1000 West Maude Avenue in Sunnyvale, 700 East Middlefield Road in Mountain View and 222 Second Street in San Francisco, LinkedIn reported in the filing with the EDD.
LinkedIn didn’t immediately specify in the WARN filing how many layoffs occurred in the respective cities.
The employee terminations occurred on Feb. 13, LinkedIn stated in the WARN letter.
Besides the LinkedIn layoffs, here are some of the most recent employment cutbacks in the Bay Area reported by tech or biotech companies. The list includes the company, jobs lost, and locations:
- NC Interactive, 4 jobs lost, San Mateo
- Plastiq, 80 job cuts, San Francisco
- ContextLogic, 47 layoffs, San Francisco
- Twilio, 159 staff cuts, San Francisco
- SAP America, 224 job cuts, Palo Alto and San Ramon
- Microsoft, 108 layoffs, Mountain View and Santa Clara
- eBay, 185 job cuts, San Jose
- Pinterest, 49 layoffs, San Francisco
- Workday, 196 staff cuts, Pleasanton
- NetApp, 148 job cuts, San Jose
In addition, here are the 10 tech or biotech companies with the most job cuts in the Bay Area since mid-2022. The numbers are based on completed or upcoming staffing reductions:
- Meta Platforms (Facebook), 2,564 jobs in Menlo Park, San Francisco, Fremont, Sunnyvale and Burlingame
- Google, 1,608 positions in Mountain View, Moffett Field, San Bruno and Palo Alto
- Salesforce, 1,010 jobs in San Francisco
- Cepheid, 925 positions in Newark and Sunnyvale
- Twitter, 900 in San Francisco and San Jose
- Invitae, 736 in San Francisco
- Cisco Systems, 673 in San Jose, Milpitas and San Francisco
- Grocery Delivery E-Services USA (HelloFresh), 611 in Richmond
- Amazon, 524 in Sunnyvale and San Francisco
- Lam Research, 400 in Fremont and Livermore
In the new disclosure, LinkedIn stated that the affected employees do not have the right to displace other workers. The tech company also said the workers are not represented by a union.
“This action is expected to be permanent,” Claire Janes, a LinkedIn senior global program manager, stated in the WARN letter to the EDD.